Trying to second guess the weather is never easy but this season it has seemed harder than ever trying to get the right conditions for certain horses. If you want firm ground it will rain and if you want soft ground we'll have an Indian summer!
We declared Fen Tiger for Bath last Saturday as there was a bit of rain forecast on Friday night. That never arrived and the ground went good to firm so we made him a non-runner at 8.30am on Saturday only for an unexpected downpour to hit the track at 9am and turn the ground to good to soft which he would have loved!
Some things can't be helped but hopefully we get a bit luckier with conditions this week as we have plenty of runners.
On Monday we will be at Brighton with Heer's Sadie who loves the track and has won twice there this summer. She didn't run a bad race last time when the leaders had the run of things up front so I expect her to be in with a chance again and the little bit of rain forecast won't hurt her chances as well.
Tuesday sees us doubly-represented at Yarmouth for the first day of their three-day festival.
Notre Dame showed some promise on her recent debut at Newmarket but raced quite keenly so we've been trying a cross noseband on her at home which seems to have helped her settle. There might be some good horses in this race so winning could prove difficult but hopefully she shows us a bit of spark and uses her energy more wisely.
Queen's Company is another keen-going filly so a strong pace is crucial for her and she got just that when winning over the course and distance last time. She is in good heart and obviously loves it by the seaside so fingers crossed she can put in another big run.
We'll be on weather watch for Alibaba's entry at Beverley on Wednesday as they are forecast a lot of rain. He is a horse who has been especially frustrated by the weather this summer as he can't have it too firm or too soft so finding ground which is just right isn't easy. He's ready to win when things go his way and he looks more than ready for this step up to 1m2f.
Four horses are entered to run on Thursday but the weather might have the final say on who actually runs.
Owner Carol Bushnell has a pair entered at Yarmouth where Silver Shamrock will be having her third career run. This will mean she can qualify for handicap races but I would like to see her show a bit more ability than she did last time. Having said that, she is an unfurnished filly who will benefit from a winter off to strengthen up.
Hurricane Kiko is also entered at Yarmouth that day but any rain would put his participation in doubt. All his best form has come on the all-weather but I don't see why he shouldn't show it on turf.
At Chelmsford that day we have Grand Duchess Olga entered. She's also in at Kempton on Friday so we'll assess the races to see which gives her the best chance. She ran a blinder last time to finish second on just her second run for us and she looks a filly who will be winning very soon.
Lady Clemmie is also at Chelmsford that day and I hope to see a better performance from her as her recent homework has been very good. She's never shown it on the track yet but there is something there which we need her to produce on the day.
As mentioned, Olga is entered on Friday along with Clenched. She has not shone on her first couple of runs for us but we're going to put some blinkers on her and probably make the running to wake her up and see if there is anything there under the bonnet.